MAN B&W Celebrates 1,000th 20/27 Engine To Be Sold
A modest celebration took place recently at the Augsburg works of MAN B&W Diesel AG, commemorating the 1,000th 20/27 engine to be sold. The "celebrity" is one of two engines of the 12V 20/27 type destined for a 207-foot-long luxury yacht belonging to an American owner. The Dutch yacht and shipbuilder C. van Lent & Zonen, La-Kaag, is undertaking the building of this vessel.
A comparison with the first order for this engine, two sets of three 7L 20/27 engines as auxiliary gensets for two freighters, clearly shows the breadth of possible applications of this engine series. Of the 1,000 engines sold, 30 percent were used to propel tugboats, fishing vessels, passenger ships, ferries, motor coasters, inland waterway vessels, supply ships, dredgers, yachts, small tankers and many special-purpose vessels. A further 45 percent of these engines are installed as auxiliary gensets for electricity supply on board large merchant ships.
Low fuel consumption, a high availability of engines in operation and low wear values ensure that the L/V 20/27 engine will continue to be a popular choice in various markets in the future.
The MAN B&W 20/27 four-stroke engine is available as an in-line engine in 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9-cylinder versions, and as a V-type engine in 12, 14, 16 and 18-cylinder versions covering an output range between 500 and 1,800 kw at 1,000 rpm. The engine is also available as a dual-fuel version.
For further information and free literature on MAN B&W engines, Circle 14 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from July 1989 issue
- L & L Oil Stocks Wide Variety Of Standard And Custom Lubricants page: 5
- E.N. Bisso And Son Begins Long Distance Towing page: 7
- $200 Billion Needed Over Next Decade For World Fleet Replacement page: 8
- Proposed T-Boat Rules Changes To Affect Lifesaving Equipment page: 9
- Trinity Marine Group Enters Megayacht Construction With Establishment Of Trinity Yachts, Inc. page: 10
- MAN B&W Celebrates 1,000th 20/27 Engine To Be Sold page: 11
- Tinkey, Guthans, And Farrell Elected To Key AWO Posts page: 11
- 'Rapid Response Team' Formed By ABS To Assist Clients When Vessels Are Damaged page: 11
- Detroit Diesel-Powered 'Spirit Of Philadelphia' Delivered By Blount Marine—Its 277th Vessel page: 12
- New Revolutionary River Radar System Launched By Kelvin Hughes page: 13
- National Waterways Conference To Hold Annual Meeting In St. Louis page: 13
- Repair Contract For Third 'Knox' Class Ship In Seven Months page: 14
- New Medium-Speed Engine Presented By MAN B&W Diesel At Augsburg Press Conference page: 16
- Halter Converts Supply Boat For USCG Drug Surveillance Mission page: 17
- DIESEL POWER REVIEW page: 18
- OUTLOOK FOR THE $35-BILLION ANNUAL NAVY SHIPBUILDING MARKET page: 25
- MARINE LUBRICANTS MEETING THE DEMANDS OF NEW AND UPGRADED DIESELS page: 36
- Free Color Brochure Details New Doucette High Tech Condenser page: 43
- James Bolger Of Colonna's Shipyard Addresses Technical Staffs Of Leading Shipowners page: 44
- 360-Passenger 'Wave Piercer' Delivered By Nichols Brothers page: 44
- Coast Guard To Reexamine Rules On Ship Repair page: 46
- Si-Tex Introduces Next Generation Electronic Charting System page: 53
- MSI Opens Fourth Diesel Engine Repair Facility In St. Louis page: 53
- Barber Industries' 'Rigsaver' Assures Mobile And Stationary Engine Overspeed Protection page: 55